Hankard Environmental is seeking a full-time science/engineering consultant for our Madison, Wisconsin area office. We are a consulting firm specializing in environmental noise (acoustics). Our work focuses on renewable and other energy projects, mining, land development, concert venues, etc. We consult with developers, owner/operators, utilities, municipalities, and law firms. We are experts in the measurement, prediction, and control of environmental noise from large-scale facilities, have been in business for 30 years, and our staff has 75 years of combined acoustical consulting experience. We currently have four full-time and three part-time members on our team. We are scientists and engineers and our days are filled with some combination of:
- Field work, including conducting attended and unattended measurements for both ambient and compliance surveys;
- Modeling noise from proposed projects using noise-specific software (primarily SoundPLAN), spreadsheets, Matlab, and GIS;
- Interacting with clients (mostly by phone or online);
- Preparing technical reports, graphics, and maps;
- Reviewing and applying the standards and procedures that inform the acoustics profession, including participation in INCE and ASA;
- Presenting technical information at public meetings and hearings.
CAREER CHOICE: Ideally, we prefer someone with a demonstrated inclination toward acoustics, but the job duties do not immediately require expertise with acoustics.
EDUCATION: 4-year science/engineering degree required.
WORK EXPERIENCE: We prefer a candidate with entry to junior level experience (0 to 5 years) in acoustical consulting, environmental consulting, or a related scientific field.
CERTIFICATION: INCE certification and PE a plus but not required.
SKILLS: We value a variety of skills at our firm, including for this position the following roughly in order of importance:
- Technical and analytical skills (computer and electronic equipment, spreadsheets, and data analysis).
- Experience with report preparation, writing, editing, and use of graphics software. The ability to present technical material clearly and concisely is important for this role.
- GIS and Matlab experience.
- Self-starter with organizational skills. This is a small firm and everyone needs to be able to work both in teams and on their own.
- Field experience including the use of measurement equipment. This position will involve being outside in different types of weather (year-round with daytime and nighttime measurements).
- Ability and willingness to travel for measurements and meetings (up to 25% of the time).
- Noise modeling experience, particularly SoundPLAN.
For most candidates, particularly recent graduates, you must be based in or willing to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. Most of our staff are located in Wisconsin with one person based in Florida and part-time staff in Denver. You will be primarily working at our office in Verona, Wisconsin which is 10 miles from downtown Madison. Field work occurs across the U.S. with a current focus in the Midwest and Northeast.
Salary and Benefits
Hankard Environmental is an equal opportunity employer. We pay competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education. Paid sick and personal time and eight holidays per year. We offer a SIMPLE IRA plan with a company match (limited). We do not offer health insurance; our employees procure their own coverage.
You will be asked to provide at least two if initial screening indicates a potential match.
If qualified and interested please send your resume with a cover letter to: HEIcareers2022@hankardinc.com